Vectran - Bluewater Cruising Sails
- Full Battens
- 2 Set of Reefs
- Draft Stripes (if requested)
- Luff Boxes
- Rutgerson Super Press Ring
- Dacron UV Cover to Leech + Foot
- Tell Tales
- Foam Luff (standard)
- Webbing Loop at Tack and Head
- Bluewater Upgrades
By square meters:
Size 1: 12-18 / Vectran Light 1500 d.
Size 2: 18-25 / Vectran Light 1500 d.
Size 3: 25-40 / Vectran Light 1500 d.
Size 4: 40-45 / Vectran Heavy 2250 d.
Size 5: 45-60 / Vectran Heavy 2250 d.
Size 6: 60-80 / Vectran Heavy 2250 d.
Quality Cruising Sails
Mauri MX Vectran (Custom Axis Laminate Sails) are high quality,
durable cruising sails. They are finished to Offshore specifications.
They are modern designs and hand crafted to high standards
with all the features that a good offshore sail should have.
Yet they are available at the price of a Dacron sail. A good
Dacron sail that is, fully specified, and they should be compared
to such sails when it comes to price. Long term performance,
on the other hand, is greatly superior to that of a Dacron
What are Custom Axis Laminate
Custom Axis Laminate Sails are a membrane design using
crosscut panels parallel to the foot.
• The load lines of the sail are computer analysed and
a primary and secondary load direction determined. These load
lines are specific to each individual sail design. Primary
fibres address leech loads and secondary fibres address load
lines running into the luff.
• The two load line fibres are custom strung each in
straight parallel lines across the sail panel.
• Fiber density is varied across the panel with the
maximum at the leech, decreasing towards the luff to provide
the appropriate amount of denier in each part of the sail.
• The bottom two or three panels (depending on sail
size) have a vertical seam. The forward part of these panels
has both primary and secondary fibres strung in symmetrically
reverse directions to address tack loads.
• The top panel is vertical and 2800 mm deep to provide
continuous fibre to meet the increased loads in the head.
• Patches are oversized with the outermost patch custom
strung with radial fibres.
• Custom Axis Laminate Sails have a woven 85 grams per
m² Polyester Taffeta laminated to both sides of the sail.
The Taffeta has large denier yarns providing additional fill
strength and chafe resistance.
• The Taffeta is laminated with an antifungicide additive
for mildew and mold protection.
• Pentex® and Vectran® fibres are used in Custom
Axis Laminate Sails. Pentex has 2½ times the stretch
resistance of ordinary polyester. Vectran exceeds Kevlar in
stretch resistance and does not suffer from “creep”,
a slow and permanent elongation of the fibre over time, commonly
associated with spectra. Both fibres have excellent flex resistance
suitable for cruising sails.
• UV protection is addressed using an industry first
100% UV block film. Although greater in gauge, this is the
exact same film as is laminated to glass used in cars and buildings
to prevent UV fading damage to interior furnishings. Designed
to block all damaging UV, this film, considerably more costly
than conventional mylar sail cloth films, greatly enhances
the longevity and sustained performance of every Mauri MX4
Performance Cruising Sail.
Standard Specifications are quite detailed and do not leave
room for many optional extras. A few are possible if you need
them but generally the sails include all the features you would
expect to find in a high quality sail.
• Mainsails come as standard with 2 reefs, 4 full battens
in vinyl ester and but we can acommodate any batten set up.
Leech line (overhead on larger sizes), foot line and Cunningham
are standard, as are leech tell tails and draft stripes. Appropriate
slides and luff boxes are provided. Reefs have pressed in rings
and the forward one has a dog bone fitted. Size 5 up have reef
• Options are a third reef, single line reefing blocks
and sail numbers.
• Furling mains have clew blocks and UV cover to the
leech and foot in the clew area.
• Headsails all have a UV Dacron cover to foot and leech,
a foam luff, leech and foot lines with clam cleats and are
available with luff tape or hanks.
• Jibs (below 100%) have denser fibre layouts.
|If you need immediate
assistance finding the appropriate sails for your sailboat please
do not hesitate to call us, our sail consultants are ready to